If you are interested in getting Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) email us at email@example.com
Dr. Sujit R. Varma
Dr. Varma is board certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN) and has been working in the mental health field since 1993. He did his initial medical training in India and followed that up with a fellowship in Mood Disorders from the University of British Columbia (UBC) in Vancouver, Canada. Dr. Varma did his American psychiatry residency at the University of Texas, Houston (UTH).
He has admitting privileges at Fairview Southdale in Edina, MN and Unity Hospital in Fridley, MN. He sees adults as well as children, adolescents and geriatric populations and patients from various cultural backgrounds and he accepts all insurances.
In addition to psychiatric medication management, Dr. Varma offers the following services:
- Personalized prescribing through salivary DNA testing
- Vivitrol monthly injections for alcohol and opioid dependence
- He is certified by the DEA to prescribe suboxone, zubsolv, bunavail for opioid dependence
- He performs Electro Convulsive Therapy at Fairview Southdale hospital
- He prescribes compounded Ketamine nasal spray for Treatment Resistant Depression (TRD)
- He will refer you for psychotherapy, psychological testing, hypnotherapy, medical cannabis and other non pharmacological interventions if deemed appropriate
- He performs deep TMS using Brainsway for Depression and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
For more questions about mental illness and awareness I refer you to the National Alliance of Mental Illness.
What is a Psychiatrist?
A psychiatrist is a medical physician who specializes in the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of medical illnesses, including substance abuse and addiction. Psychiatrists are uniquely qualified to assess both the mental and physical aspects of psychological disturbance. Their medical education has given them a full working knowledge of the many causes for a patient’s feelings and symptoms. Armed with this understanding, psychiatrists can make a complete, accurate diagnosis and then recommend or provide treatment.
Common psychiatric conditions include:
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Anxiety disorders
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Bipolar disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Chemical dependency or substance abuse
- Major depressive disorder (depression)
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)